Conversations about the future with Pep Guardiola and Fernando Trueba.
Things move pretty fast in Spain. After losing to Real Madrid and getting knocked out of the Champions League in one week, Spanish papers have resigned to thinking that this will be Pep’s last season with Barça for the foreseeable future. I’m posting this conversation between Pep and legendary Spanish filmmaker Fernando Trueba from last September simply because the future seems to be terribly present in the present. Enjoy.
Selected words of wisdom from Pep and Fernando:
1) Trueba: “You reached the future you had imagined when you were 25. How do you imagine your future now?
Pep: “Not a day goes by in which I don’t think ‘I’m leaving tomorrow.’ I think whenever you’re in a position where you’re managing something, you have to think that if you want, the next day you can just walk away. I think I work best when I know I have the freedom to decide my own future.
2) Trueba: And for human beings in general: some age well, others less well. We all have our own rhythm: some people give their very best at 20, others at 80. There is no written rule.
3) Pep: It’s a game, nothing else. Know your opponent, and try to play better than him. The whole point is not to defeat your opponent and think ‘yeah, we beat them.’ I never think that, I focus instead, during the game, on thinking if what I imagined the day before is happening on the pitch or not. If it is, then I’m completely fulfilled as a coach. If it isn’t, it’s because I was wrong about something and I have to understand the reasons why things are not going as I planned.
Trueba: Yes, but there’s no such thing as “things went wrong.” Things just happen the way they happen, you have to accept it… Directors usually say ‘I’m going to direct a movie, let’s see if I can make the movie exactly as I imagine it in my mind.’ That movie is a dream, it doesn’t exist. What matters is not what you dream it will be, it’s the movie you actually MAKE… Try not to be to hung up on utopias. Utopias don’t exist… I’m not saying dreaming is wrong. But it’s also important to try to change reality for the better by bit by bit, realistically.
[posted by EB]
- lucinegrigoryan likes this
- marksisi likes this
- theyellowdog reblogged this from afootballreport
- oromi likes this
- mmq1986 reblogged this from afootballreport
- mmq1986 likes this
- mandragora8 likes this
- ahugwouldbenice likes this
- smugnightmares likes this
- the-north-faceonline likes this
- creese-tee reblogged this from afootballreport
- tlt1223 answered: How is Tim Tebow doing?
- griselidis likes this
- mamasonlyboy likes this
- amrermraz likes this
- gareyesgzz reblogged this from afootballreport
- spindlr likes this
- nwarren9 likes this
- doux-amer reblogged this from inventfootball
- doux-amer likes this
- 2fresh4 reblogged this from afootballreport and added:
- castoffcrown likes this
- This was featured in #Sports
- builtforheavyduty reblogged this from afootballreport
- mbarkman reblogged this from afootballreport
- duclubsoccer reblogged this from afootballreport
- postcardsfromtinyislands likes this
- lexiloo7 likes this
- niccosays likes this
- schmam121 likes this
- brettkozinn likes this
- curseyougenetics likes this
- hspn likes this
- veirafootball likes this
- thereisnothinglefttoloseff likes this
- silentpassage likes this
- developsport likes this
- developsport answered: Great article!!love it. defo gona reblog!!
- usedtoloveher likes this
- stormgc reblogged this from afootballreport
- alittlebitlost likes this
- neveryoumindwhatisonmymind reblogged this from inventfootball
- neveryoumindwhatisonmymind likes this
- heavenlybutterfly likes this
- xxaavvii likes this
- thefootballshirtcollective reblogged this from inventfootball
- just8food likes this
- michaelaie likes this
- recspecs likes this
- futbolispeace reblogged this from aholeintheground